Saturday, September 13, 2008

Wednesday, 13 September 2006

Sat with dad all day. Cried about what a good man he was, cried about how sick he is, how he keeps fighting. Cried when he saw Brad. Cried now when Georgie phoned to say that his kidneys have failed. My dad! Why this? Why? I never thought he would fight so hard to stay alive. Its hard sitting by his side all day, but it'll be harder when he goes. I love my dad so much. I am so proud of him. The priest gave dad last rites today. I don't remember much. Robbie made us cry. By the time the sun went down, I was spent. His bp is really low, but the deterioration is very slow. I thought is would go faster. I don't know if this is better or worse. Lord, please heal my dads pain. Please give us all the strength and guidance we need. Please can every Fisher on this planet have a good nights rest tonight, and wake up ready for another day. I ask this in Jesus name. Amen.

I honestly thought that Dad would hold out only until my brother arrived. But I was wrong. I'm not sure what the medication was doing to dad but I kept talking to him the whole time. His eyes stayed closed most of the time only opening every now and again. When my brother arrived he spoke to Dad for a bit and showed him the parts he had brought for my dads vintage car. Eventually my dad opened his eyes, saw my brother and exclaimed, 'My son! What a pleasure!' We all just cried and cried. Throughout the day, old friends and family that I'd never seen before popped. All had kind words, some of them even told us to stay positive cos he might pull through. I just smiled - they had no idea the journey we had been on.
Although my dad had been a regular churchgoer for a good few years, he refused to accept Communion, until this final hospital stay, where he took Communion at every opportunity. So when the priest came to give Last Rites, it really felt so final. All of us standing around in a circle, saying the Lords Prayer for my dad.
That night again we planned on staying over at the hospital, but we were told everything was still stable and we could go home and rest.

No comments: